Poll here -

http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/1395414/

http://blogs.livemint.com/blogs/lounge/archive/2009/02/23/what-is-ar-rahman-s-greatest-ever-film-soundtrack.aspx

With all due credit to the Mozart of Madras (Chopin of Chennai?), *Slumdog
Millionaire *is not the maestro's best work by some distance. Over the last
17 years and over 100 film soundtracks Rahman has produced several tracks
that will be remembered long after Jai Ho and Oh Saya. From *Roja *in 1992,
which remains one of his best, to *Delhi-6* this year, which some think IS
his best, Rahman's repertoire is so versatile that picking a best from the
lot is a challenge.

My first experience with Rahman was when my maternal cousins from Sharjah
(where else) came over one weekend and played the *Bombay *and
*Gentleman *tapes
non-stop back to back for 48 hours. In something that became rare for me
with Rahman in the years hence, I took to Chikku Bukku and Antha Arabi
Kadaloram almost immediately. By the end of that week the music was
beginning to drive my dad nuts. He couldn't believe that the same guy who
made *Roja *would make these songs with "all the screaming and table tennis
balls".

Also released in the early 90s was Rahman's only work for a Malayalam movie,
1992's *Yodha *which had the immensely memorable Padakali song which became
a fave drinking song in college later. (Any idea why he never went
cross-border since then? Your guess is as good as mine.)

The first half of that decade saw Rahman produce music in quality and
quantity. And it culminated in 1995 with *Bombay *and*Rangeela*, two albums
that truly made him a national icon. (While Rajni purists will disagree,
the *Muthu *soundtrack of that year was not too bad. The triumpant woodwind
intro to Oruvan Oruvan still gives me goosebumps. Even if on screen Rajni
would overtake a bus with a horse cart, as only he can.)

It is one of the non-Tamil speaking world's great losses that Mani Ratnam's
*Iruvar *never made it big and that the music never got the audience that
other Rahman crossovers did. *Iruvar *is a stunning, audacious album that
went with an audacious film.

He won his second national award for music direction with *Minsara Kanavu* (
*Sapnay*) in 1997 and then composed the superb soundtrack to *Dil Se...* in
1998.

I rank 1999 among the best years in ARR's career. *Taal*, *Kadhalar Dinam*,
*Sangamam *and *Taj Mahal* shared the spotlight with a personal favourite *
Takshak*. Rahman won his god-only-knows-how-many-th Tamil Nadu state award
for Sangamam, a gritty, earthy album suffuse with folk style music.

Of all of Rahman's Tamil-only albums, 2000's *Kandukondein Kandukondein* has
the most crossover appeal. I know several people who don't understand a word
of the lyrics to the songs, who love the music. Including one of my editors.

*Lagaan *in 2001, *Boys *in 2003 and *Yuva *plus *Swades *in 2004 were all
superb albums. Pardon me while I zip across to 2006 and *Rang De Basanti*,
an album that won even Daler Mehndi critical acclaim. RDB, like *Iruvar*, is
an album that is difficult to appreciate fully without the film it propels.
Both were excellent albums but were also, let's say, director's albums.

Which brings us to 2007's *Guru *and 2008's *Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na*,  *Jodhaa
Akbar*, And *Slumdog Millionaire*. Peruse that list of three movies to get a
sense of the man's variety. Cotton candy college music? Wokay! Spiritual
Sufi number? Double Wokay! Triumphant closing anthem? I would like to thank
the Academy!

And now we have *Delhi-6*. Over idly-sambar recently one of my editors
mentioned that Rahman's work in *Delhi-6* is almost a statement. A cocky
statement that he could do whatever he wanted to, compose anything, any
genre and get away with it. And boy does he get away with it. Genda Phool is
on permanent loop in my head waiting to be replaced by Rahman's next super
hit.

Finally, drum roll, what is my all time favourite Rahman album?

His 1993 Tamil track *Pudhiya Mugam*, which was remade in Hindi as *
Vishwavidaata *in 1997, remains my personal fave. It is a soppy, sentimental
album but still an uplifting one supported by superb lyrics by Vairamuthu.
To me the album is faultless. And timeless.

But what  is your favourite AR Rahman movie soundtrack of all time? Click on
the poll below to tell us. And add your own movie name if you don't agree
with my top 5 (Rang De Basanti, Roja, Pudhiya Mugam, Delhi 6 and Lagaan.)
plus Slumdog Millionaire.

What is your favourite AR Rahman movie sound
track?<http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/1395414/>

( polls <http://www.polldaddy.com/>)