Now I hope there would be reverse effect. . Like Kamal said it is time for
Indian movies to go global.
But as a matter of fact there's nothing truly global. Everybody
has affiliations and preferences and a social/personal context based on
which they view things. Not interests, only emotions are global - love,
peace, happiness, compassion and so on. It's a challenge to make a movies
that connects across many cultures incorporating those emotions. SDM
achieved it. Many Indian directors have the potential to make such movies
and have made such movies in the past.

There are many naysayers of popular Indian movies 'terming' it as 'masala'.
Yes, some are downright stupid, but so are movies in any languages and there
are 'intelligent' movies in any language. Movies are primarily a medium of
entertainment and art, message is just a by-product.

Not everyone in the world think that Western movies are the best; they cater
to certain sensibilities. Degree of fusion has been and will continually
increase in any field, films being no exception.

Indian movies have been borrowing heavily from western movies and Hollywood
has always been open to innovation. I feel, now other non-english film
industries will also increase collaboration and there will certainly be
influences. Rahman himself is doing a Indo-Japanese movie.

Yes, the barriers are getting broken. But that should not destroy our own
identity. Loosing a language is loosing millenniums of knowledge. Sadly,
that is what is happening to many cultures and languages.

The whole challenge will be not to loose our own identity in this immense
crossovers which is happening. For example, there's is no one tamil/hindi
movie recently which has 100% native language dialogues. Classical music
have almost ceased being part of mainstream movies.

Well this is a larger issue every country is facing - the side effects of
globalisation. Hope the debate of sustainable globalisation evolves a
practical framework for a harmonious global culture, without loosing
essential local culture.

Rahman is a step in that direction. He is firmly rooted to Raagas, but
doesn't limit himself there. He seamlessly crosses every boundaries in
creating a global sound.

Rahman sets the right example.