The order might indeed be important. This is just a guess, but it
somehow looks like a method to tell the Admin Tool, which kind of
container is meant by the references.

Note that the reference to "20080527-CherylConversionFormChanges" has
type => 6, which means only "container", so the Admin Tool doesn't know
  that it should display the entry as a packing list.

Here's the constants from ar.h for the "dataType => 1" references:

32783 => ARREF_PACKINGLIST_GUIDE
32784 => ARREF_PACKINGLIST_APP
32785 => ARREF_PACKINGLIST_PACK
32792 => ARREF_PACKINGLIST_DSOPOOL
32793 => ARREF_PACKINGLIST_FILTER_GUIDE
32801 => ARREF_PACKINGLIST_WEBSERVICE

To me it looks like packing lists have to be put directly after the
"type => 32785" entry, filter guides after the "type => 32793" entry etc.
This would mean that the Admin Tool mistakes the reference in the
script-generated packing list for a web service.

As I said, just guessing ...

Regards,
Thilo