Thilo Stapff wrote:
> Maybe I'm able to shed some light on the issues that you have addressed.
> ARSperl does indeed not implement any of the ARGetMultiple* calls, with
> the notable exception of ARGetMultipleEntries. Nor is it possible to
> limit the ars_Get* functions to specific attributes (again with the
> exception of ars_GetEntry). The reason for this is that the developent
> of ARSperl, like the ARS API itself, is somehow quite "vendor centric",
> the "vendor" in this case being a group of volunteers, especially
> myself. To state it more directly: if I need something, then I'll
> implement it.

Hey, I can provide some background here, because I'm one of those
volunteers, and I implemented GetMultipleEntries and GetListEntryWithFields.

The way most ARSperl applications work, in my experience, is that there is
an initialization phase where one-time information is pulled from the
server, followed by a data-intensive phase that might involve repeated
queries and data retrievals.  Life in ARSperl before those two functions
was tedious and in my world I was dealing with significant performance
issues.  The improvement was dramatic.

Not so important, in my mind, was the need to pull field definitions.  A
one-time charge to loop through the fields you want isn't so bad.  And
while the data changes every day, the field definitions don't.  I finally
canned ALL of the field queries in favor of a periodic "information
gathering" script that does the queries and preserves the results with
Data::Dumper so every script can retrieve them when needed.  I know it
helps that I had complete control over our ARS implementation so if
something changed, I could update the definitions immediately.  That's
not so different from what Remedy User does with caching schema files,
after all.

--
G. David Frye
[EMAIL PROTECTED]