Marc,

If you are going to create an ARS Web Service Object ( So that ARS
will publish an Web Services interface for other applications to talk
to.) then you will be creating an ARS Container. ARS Containers are a
super set object that comprise ARS Applications, ARS Web Services, ARS
Guides( Filter and Active Link), and PackingLists too. So you are
going to need to use the C API command: ARCreateContainer.  Note: This
is a very different task than getting ARSystem to call some other
applications Web Service.

I know that the ARSPerl manual is more than a bit out of date, but
after reviewing (http://arsperl.sourceforge.net/manual/toc.html) I do
not see this function as being implemented at all in ARSPerl. Maybe it
is implemented and not yet documented, but I doubt that will help you
much.

I have yet to have a need to make an ARS Web Service object from any
of the API's. So I poked around for 10 minutes and here is what I see:

After reviewing the C and Java API docs (for 7.1) I would suggest that
you use the Java API. The Java API looks like there is at least some
detail (Although not much there either) that might help you along your
way. However you have a fair amount of detective work to do no matter
which API language you select.

You likely need to pay attention to these constants:

ARCON_*  (specifically ARCON_WEBSERVICE = 5)
ARREF_WS_*

And likely others too.

I think your best bet is to manually create a Web Service (or 10) and
export their def files in XML format. That should help you to see what
properties are being set by the Admin Tool and should help you
decipher the poorly documented C and Java APIs. You might even want to
ask BMC Tech Support if you have specific questions about an API
property too. But I doubt they will be of much help.

For what it is worth: I was able to make a "non-functional" ARS web
service by using the v7.1 JavaDriver. If I could find what properties
I needed to set I bet I could even create a working WebService with
that client too. So you may want to work out how to feed a command
file to the JavaDriver and not have to know any (or almost any) Java
too. ( You may also be able to use the "driver", written with the C
API tool too.)

Good luck.

--
Carey Matthew Black
BMC Remedy AR System Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.