I have looked through the mail archives and Artemis manual but can't find what I'm after. In the NCBI program SEQUIN, there is a nice update function for sequences that are undergoing refinement or extension (eg. if you are sequencing a genome but wish to start annotating before it is fully completed). You can import an update, SEQUIN will align the new with the old, and then you can replace the old sequence with the new, and all your annotations are placed in the correct
new positions on the new sequence.

In Artemis, how can you do this? There doesn't seem to be any 'update sequence' function.
If I copy or move features across to the new sequence (entry), it
just pastes the identical base number ranges, without aligning first and working out the new base ranges. The edit functions are for small changes (or at least ones that don't overlap existing
features).

BTW, Sequin is quite a powerful annotation tool, but strangely, it doesn't accept their own
standard file format, Genbank (go figure...).

Regards, Mike Dyall-Smith

Mike Dyall-Smith
Dept. Microbiology and Immunology
University of Melbourne