I'm a novice user of both chado & artemis, and I'm having trouble getting artemis to see a chado db that I've recently setup. I've tried using both artemis release 10 & 11, and am having similar problems with both.

I'm fairly confident that I have the chado db set correctly, since I'm able to view it under gbrowse using the host/port/database/user/pwd that I have set. Then I've been calling up the artemis gui using this command line:

./art -Dchado="vm22:5432/chado_dev?chuser" -Dibatis -Djdbc.drivers=org.postgresql.Driver

Under release 10.0, the gui opens and then I get a password dialogue box. When I type in the password, the box goes away and returns in about 5 seconds. Its not giving me errors, the box just comes back and asks me to enter the password again.

Under release 11.0, the gui opens, and I am only asked to enter the password once. Then I am able to use the gui, but the file & database management window only displays the root level directory (just the folder icon, no name). When I click on that folder artemis just goes into a 'working' state (with the little clock icon turning) and never returns. I've let it run for over an hour and it just keeps churning.

Can anyone advise me on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
John Martin