Thank you both for the suggestions.

The look and feel was already set to Metal when I checked. I also tried
CDE/Motif to
no avail. But it was a good idea.

> First you need to determine whether the issue is Artemis or your X11 client
> etc.

I think we have already established this - we initially suspected eXceed too.
We tried it on a Linux machine and the same version of Artemis ran fine
locally, but was
'broken' when running with its own X-terminal.

I BCC'd my first message to tech support, and he thought I was pestering him
again;
here is his reply:

: In a word - NO. It is a bug in the Artemis code. Note it can be installed
under
: Windows locally. As you say this is definitely an X-remote problem. We saw
: this running the version on Helen when displaying on a machine running exactly
: the same o/s with a "proper" X server,

To be slightly more technically correct, if it is a bug in the X display, it
fails identically
in two independent systems. The more likely explanation is I think that the
display that
Artemis generates doesn't space out the letters when outputting to an X-window.
I put an example image on a free web hosting service:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/139/artemisborked.png

Thank you for your time.
Tony