You could have said this a lot different.
To start with:
He explains that the goals were perhaps to high set for a one person project.
He explains clearly why he stopped with it.
And in my opinion the arts project is for sound almost unmatched looking at
the architecture, and the fact that the project is used and still in use by
major linux distributors, thus recognizing the usefullness of the product.
With a focus on just the sound card part of the project, it beats about
everything else in the market place, including some of the projects he
mentioned as great. Those projects are dead too. In general: Sound in linux
is in a pretty bad shape until some groups combine forces and start working
together as a team to develop one very nice sound deamon, which in my opinion
will have the arts architecture as basis, and does not need that much more
improvements to become a complete architecture (network sound sucks to set up
so much, esd is fractionally better, some others are even better in that, but
then commercial or 6 years without maintenance).
The ideas of arts like running mp3 sounds over a network by sending mp3
packets so thus utilizing the CPU of a client, and with that eliminating a
lot of other synchronization problems are just great.