Hi Ed,
Thanks for references

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Ed Day
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 7:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ASN.1] BER Encoded tag

Hi Massoud:

>From ITU-T X.690 (which is the current version of the ITU-T standard you
reference below):

8.1.2.2 For tags with a number ranging from zero to 30 (inclusive), the
identifier octets shall comprise a single octet
encoded as follows:

a) bits 8 and 7 shall be encoded to represent the class of the tag as
specified in Table 1;

b) bit 6 shall be a zero or a one according to the rules of 8.1.2.5;

c) bits 5 to 1 shall encode the number of the tag as a binary integer with
bit 5 as the most significant bit.

You are correct: there is no option to encode the tag the way it is shown.

Regards,

Ed Day
Objective Systems, Inc.
REAL WORLD ASN.1 AND XML SOLUTIONS