On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, ??? wrote:

> hi....
>
> maybe, ...  if you designed a new protocol, there would be no rules
> whether you make in ASN.1 or some other ways.. as you know, the
> encoded messages from ASN.1 are not readable to human beings, but it
> is widely applicable and more compact. it depends on your own purpose.
>
> mm... The followings would be a good example for you. There are 3
> different kinds of protocols in VoIP networks. (H.323, MGCP and SIP)
> the first one uses ASN.1 and the others not. The ASCII code is applied
> for them.(you may understand as soon as you see.) I heard the reason
> why they cannot use ASN.1 is that it is too complicated to read the
> message without Analyzer and VoIP networks is concentrating on IP
> products such as http, ... absolutely, H.323 is oldest one in 3 and
> less popular.

ASN.1 now supports XML, so messages defined using ASN.1 can easily be
encoded in textual format (XML).  There is no need for use for an
protocol analyzer to read such messages.

BTW, due to increasing demand for faster and more compact encoding of data
defined using W3C XML Schema, last week the W3C met to discuss binary
encodings of messages defined using XSD.  Over 30 companies participated,
including Microsoft, Sun, Nokia, and other major corporations.  No decision
has been reached by the W3C as yet, but I expect that that XSD will end up
where ASN.1 started - with bindary encoding of messages as an option,
similar to how ASN.1 ended up with XML encoding of messages as an option.

Bancroft Scott                               Toll Free    :1-888-OSS-ASN1
OSS Nokalva                                  International:1-732-302-0750
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 Tech Support :1-732-302-9669 x-1
1-732-302-9669 x-200                         Fax          :1-732-302-0023
http://www.oss.com