I think, when one looks at the whole thing, this seems to be rather a positive and creative thing that GOI is doing by allowing the children to live inside the jail with their mothers. On a negative sense, we may say, like Chandan is doing, look, they are putting the children also in jail, what a shame. But look at the alternatives. In the West, where things are looked either as black or white, such children would have been completely abandoned and would have been drug addict or something like that.(No wonder, USA has the highest number of people behind bars).  In this creative scheme done by India, the children are allowed to live with their mothers who are in jail. That has definitely lessened the pain of the jail term on both the mother and children. Second the children are getting an education. The children probably would not feel that they in jail. I am sure they have the freedom to go out with some guardian. I think the whole experience will pacify the mothers in the end and will make them rather realize the futility of their mission to die for their country rather than  to live for their children. After all, when one looks at things philosophically, all missions, whether religion or patriotism or revolution or revenge, that people often commit themselves to die for, would seem rather childish. After all the whole thing depends on basically what type of training or lesson one gets in childhood, or what type of horrible experience people go through in life etc.  I am not saying that one is good and the other is bad. Both are life, and people esteem life depending on the value system that they believe. Gandhi was a revolutionary who fought for the freedom of India. Rabindra Nath Tegore or Vivekanand or Aurobindo did not, In the end, I really don't know whose contribution is more for India. Would India would have been bad, if Gandhi were never born? May be India would have been under British rule ten or twenty more years. Would it have been bad? Bad for whom? Definitely not for Assam, many would say.

After all the Assamese may be right in taking life rather easy without any strong committment or in as they say, in a Hobo Diok manner. Today Assam may be lagging, but we cannot ssay that the Assamese are lagging.

RB

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Assam] News from Sentinel - prisoners' children

I do wish that Assamese NGO take up the task of raising children of imprisoned ULFA members. Prima -facie from the article it seems that Indian govt has granted special concession to allow the ULFA members to remain together .

I my own home --  I look at the case of my poor cousin who was poisoned by his wife last year and died subsequently. The wife and her paramour are in jail now. What happened to the children??

Noone in our family wanted to shoulder the burden of raising them. Ultimately now they are with my father -- who is a distant relative of theirs. Perhaps similarly noone wants to raise the children of imprisoned ULFA members.

It is good that this issue has been raised. maybe NRAs  can do something for the children - like opening a residential school in Assam and providing funds for international level studies.

Umesh