Title: Re: [Assam] Begalis and MIT
*** First off, they are not problem statements. They are descriptions of SYMPTOMS, arising out of certain PROBLEMS which would require fixing to make Assam the state of your ideals.

Therefore, you all still need to find what the PROBLEMs are, and how your solution concept does or is expected to address the problems.

I am glad that CM has decided to walk to the platform.
Let us put some structure into the debate, so that it does not end up in smoke.

Normally when a patient goes to a Doctor, all the patient tells him are the symptoms, and based on the symptoms, the Doctor prescribes him some medicine.
To clarify the matter take the following case. If one has Cancer, we donot wait to find out how and why one has cancer. Our immediate duty is to treat the patient.

Now, it is at least good that we seem to have agreed (more or less) on the symptoms of the problems.
Now we have without explaining the causes of the dieses, two Doctors have prescribed two different medicines;
(1) Mahanta-ULFA group (say) has prescribed that Assam should become a sovereign country outside India, and all our  symptoms will be cured.
(2) Mayur group (say) has prescribed that more pragmatic solution which is basically "a federal structure with centre retaining defense, finance and external affairs and rest of  the powers at state level can solve some problems afflicting all the states of the country. Of course it would be unwise to expect miracles overnight from such an arrangement.

Now the most rational thing will be to hear both sides why they think his solution will solve the 3 main problems (sorry the symptoms) facing Assam.
To refresh, the symptoms are
1) The North East India is under developed compared to the rest of the country and compared to its natural resources. Within the North East, Assam is even lagging behind in development compared to the other states in the North East.
2) Compared to the rest of the country, the Assam has the problem of heaviest infiltration of illegal immigration which has been going one since 1930s.
3) Compared to the rest of the country, North East has the highest level of Corruption. Assam may be the worst.

Now both sides will have to participate and put forward their arguments what they think are the real problems for the above symptoms, and why they think their suggested prescription will solve the problems.

I think the debate will be so huge, we should take one issue at a time to be argued by both sides.
Please remember, each side will have to show how they are going to execute the prescription and how it will solve the issue of
(1) Underdevelopment
(2) Illegal immigration and
(3) Corruption.
Shall we start and show our sincerity.

RB

You took the easy road of following Rajen. I was hoping you would do a whole lot better. But as long as you did, and assuming that is the best we have to go with for the moment, let us look at Rajen's, and now yours too, problem statement:

1) The North East India is under developed compared to the rest of the country and compared to its natural resources. Within the North East, Assam is even lagging behind in development compared to the other states in the North East.
2) Compared to the rest of the country, the Assam has the problem of heaviest infiltration of illegal immigration which has been going one since 1930s.
3) Compared to the rest of the country, North East has the highest level of Corruption. Assam may be the worst.

*** First off, they are not problem statements. They are descriptions of SYMPTOMS, arising out of certain PROBLEMS which would require fixing to make Assam the state of your ideals.

Therefore, you all still need to find what the PROBLEMs are, and how your solution concept does or is expected to address the problems.

You can take one issue at a time. And take your time. I will be looking forward to learning a whole lot.

Best.

cm

Mahanta-da, by and large I agree with Rajen-da's list
of problems plaguing Assam.

Mayur

=== message truncated ===>