It seems truth is stranger than fiction.

Umesh

Hindu Press International <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: Hindu Press International <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:26:00 -1000
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: HPI, December 22, 2005

Hindu Press International

1. Hindu Teacher Ordered to Remove Bindi at Christian School

BHOPAL, INDIA, December 21, 2005: (HPI note: Christian schools in India receive government funding for teacher's salaries and textbooks. Most of the students are not Christians.)

A Christian missionary school here is in the throes of a controversy after it sacked a Hindu teacher for wearing sandalwood paste on her forehead. Activists of the radical Hindu organization Bajrang Dal have taken up the case of the teacher and are up in arms against the school. Jyoti Sahasrabuddhe, 40, a computer science teacher at Saint Jones School in the Govindpura area of the city for the last 14 years, went to school on Monday with sandalwood paste smeared on her forehead. The principal, Suman Martin, allegedly objected to the paste and asked Sahasrabuddhe to wipe it off but she refused. This led to a heated argument between the two and the teacher tendered her resignation.

She later filed a complaint at the Govindpura police station against Martin's behavior. In her complaint Sahasrabuddhe said no teacher at the school was allowed to wear 'bindi' on her forehead. "Students are forcibly taught from the Bible in the name of prayers," she said in the complaint. Sahasrabuddhe has also accused the school authorities of carrying out religious conversions. Bajrang Dal activists took up the matter after learning of the incident. "We have got complaints against this school earlier too. We were told that the Bible was read out to the students against their wishes. The students were also forced to read the Bible in the name of morning prayers," said Devendra Rawat, an office-bearer of the Bajranj Dal. "We want that the teacher should be reinstated and the Bible should not be read out to the students. If the school management fails to do these two things, we will take action against them," Rawat said. Martin could not be immediately contacted for comments. However, another teacher at the school said on the condition of anonymity that the school management had rejected Sahasrabuddhe's resignation and she would be reinstated. "We are investigating the matter," a police official at the Govindpura police station said.

2. Assam Politicians Take a Break For Yoga

GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA, December 22, 2005: Politics has taken a back seat in poll-bound Assam for the past seven days. Instead of scurrying for tickets for next year's assembly polls politicians of all hues are making a beeline for Yoga guru Ramdeva. Reason: Swami Ramdeva has been conducting camps. And Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, leader of opposition Brindabon Goswami and Governor Lt. Gen. (Retd) Ajai Singh want to reap the benefits. Mr. Gogoi even ordered every top Congress leader to be present in his house for a special yoga session with Swami Ramdeva on Monday evening. ''It has been a great experience and we need that,'' he said while talking to newsmen yesterday. Much before dawn, Asom Gana Parishad president Brindabon Goswami reaches the Nehru Stadium along with thousands of others taking instruction of Ramdeva, trying to fight ailments. Mr. Goswami has back problem. Same was the case with Mr. Gogoi. ''Right now I do not have back problem but you need yoga to keep yourself fit, specially mentally,'' he said. His close confidant and Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sharma has been a regular in the Stadium. ''I need this yoga session. I will continue with that. I need it specially since I have gained weight,'' he said. ''It was a very good experience,'' said Congress spokesman Bobeeta Sharma. The Governor organized a special session at Rajbhawan yesterday, taking instruction from the yoga guru to fight obesity and health related problems. The Chief Minister is so moved that he has assured land for an yoga ashram.

NOTICE: Some source URLs cited in HPI articles are only valid on the date the article was issued. Most are invalid a week to a few months later. When a URL fails to work, go to the top level of the source's website and search for the article.

Daily Inspiration

God does not play dice with the universe; there is an order and reason for all of life. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Opportunities and Submissions

Send leads on Hindu events, movers, leaders and activities in your area to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Individuals and organizations are invited to submit Hindu-related news and announcements for distribution by HPI.
News is our major thrust--the more current and global, the better. When sending news to HPI, please provide the source and text of the original item, either by e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or by fax to 808-822-4351. News should clearly relate to the Hindu religion.
For announcements, please prepare a short summary of the subject and provide a URL to a web page with details. For example, "Swamiji will be visiting San Francisco November 14-19 and Ann Arbor, Michigan, November 21-23, 2006. For further information visit www.swamiswami.org. Alternatively, one could provide an e-mail address. Acceptable subjects for announcements include significant world tours of religious leaders, major events of organizations, major cultural exhibitions and outstanding artistic performances.

Umesh Sharma
5121 Lackwanna ST
College Park, MD 20740

1-202-215-4328 [Cell Phone]

Ed.M. - International Education Policy
Harvard Graduate School of Education,
Harvard University,
Class of 2005

Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from Yahoo!