Title: Re: Thank you
Dear Sathyasree:

I am glad Sudhakar already clarified the issues. I was quite distressed to see you upset -- but that was because of a huge misunderstanding.

Sudhakar is ACTUALLY doing something very similar to what you all are. His organization is called INFRASYS  ( www.infrasys.biz) , which too we support in little ways. But it is structured somewhat differently. That is all.

I copied Sudhakar in on the correspondences, because, like Ravi ,yourself and all your associates, Sudhakar and his associates ALSO have a far better standing than the likes of us, of the issues that made these NGOs necessary and  in being able to see and judge the  role of government and how it is NOT playing it, thus making the burdens on NGOS like RVC ,Infrasys and others that much greater.

The context however was a raging debate in Assam Net, some eight months back, where some of my esteemed colleagues argued that Assam needs MORE NGOs, that there are not enough of them, that it is the best or only way to counter the effects of governmental dysfunction. It was in this debate  where I countered that NGOs could not to be a SUBSTITUTE for effective governance. But as usual, I was outnumbered  by my vocal opponents, who are, usually, opposed to holding the feet of the government that really have control over resources and the constitutional responsibilities, to the fire, because they cannot accept the idea of Assam's disaffections and its many causes, including decades of bad and ineffective governance which is aided and abetted by bad central policies. They also see my argument as a devious attempt to justify ULFA and promote Assam's sovereignty aspirations :-). Thus they oppose governmental reforms, knowing full well, that it amounts to --'apwnar naak kati xotinir jatra bhongo kora' (cutting off one's nose to spite one's face).

And to prove that their diagnoses are the correct ones, they usually argue that the Assam people are bad, that they do not raise their voices, do not write to national newspapers, or scream loud enough against their politicians, that they keep electing bad people, that they are traditionally and perhaps genetically lazy ( lahe'-lahe'), that change cannot come in governance because they do not demand it; so on and so forth. Some are even bold enough to assert that Assam gets what it deserves. And that no amount of governmental reforms would change PEOPLE ( as if that is where the problem lies), so on and so forth.

That was the crux of the matter.

I mentioned about my friend Sudhakar's views - as from someone who ought to know first hand-- as an expert witness -- in the note to Santanu, who, incidentally, understands it very well and needed no persuasion. But it was an opportunity  for me to rub-it-in on my opponents in my lonely battles in assam net :-).

Take care, and as always, with the very best.

c-da

PS: I will explore the idea of obtaining assistance for your website in another post to assamnet.