Thank you, Ramgopal.

----- Original Message ----
From: Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Dilip/Dil Deka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: assam@assamnet.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 2:29:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Assam] Cash award for 50-year jail error

Dilip da,

Here it is from the Tribune (Jan 10). Hidden inside news capsule - so you could have easily missed it.

I also read somewhere else (maybe Sentinel or TOI) that the Supreme Court also ordered that he be paid Rs. 1000 a month, until further notice.

Still the amount seem so incongruous compared to what Lalung went thru for most of his life.

The Assam Tribune online
Guwahati, Tuesday, January 10, 2006

NEWS CAPSULE
Compensation to Machal Lalung NEW DELHI, Jan 9: The Supreme Court today awarded a compensation of Rs 3 lakh to a septuagenerian from Assam who remained in a mental asylum for 54 years after being arrested and was not heard in the court. A Bench headed by Chief Justice YK Sabharwal directed the state government to conduct a preliminary enquiry to ascertain who were responsible for the plight of Machal Lalung. – PTI