C'da,
>But perhaps I ought to write a letter to some Editor. Who knows
>people may see the light? What do YOU think?

I think you should. You might have some luck in getting it published -:)

>*** I don't know. Sometimes people are unable to see the obvious.
>Sometimes it is a problem of attempting to awake who is NOT >asleep.
I think I know why the Sahitya Sabha is trying to avoid the issue. They don't want to touch it with a ten-foot pole because the issue IS controversial. There are those like you, who see no need for a defintion, and then there are those who think its important to have a definition.

That definition for them would mean weeding out illegal B'deshis. It may be a first step (1947, 1971, 1991 or whatever) but at least they would know who the ethinic people are and who are not.

I assume your definition of Assamese would encompass all ethinic people including Bodos, Miris, Biharis, Marwaris etc also, who have been living in Assam for ever? -:)

--Ram