Ram:
Thanks for the site. It is great.
Regarding Assamese and other languages coming from Sanskrit, please read the history of the Indian languages carefully. It is tricky. Sanskrit, by definition, is a dead language, which means it ended in itself. As such none of the Indian regional languages are derived from Sanskrit.  None. Assamese, Bengali, Oriya and all the Indo-Aryan languages in India are derived from different Pakrit languages like Magadhi, Sauraseni, etc. Now these Pakrit languages are derived from some Vedic and pre Vedic languages. Sanskrit itself was one language which was derived from some pre Vedic language. However, Panini standardized Sanskrit and made many changes phonetically (we lost X sound) and grammatically.  However due to Panini's strict rules, Sanskrit remained as a fixed written language, fixed in time forever. That is why it is called a dead language.

From above, it should be very clear that Sanskrit cannot be the mother language on any of the Indo Aryan languages: Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Marthi etc. Sanskrit can be strictly speaking a cousin language.

But if a dead language can have power, it is Sanskrit which have been influencing the Indians greatly.  Many educated Indians (I mean scholars) make the mistake again and again. How many times you will hear Indians stating that all Indian languages are derived from Sanskrit etc. Technically this is not correct. Please. Sanskrit is dead.

If we consider, Panini's time (6th/7th century BC, Panini was from Afghanistan-Kandahar) to be the time of Sanskrit the way we see it today, Assamese language is much older than that. Historically it is my argument that the Assamese XO sound was there in Assamese since 3000 BC when Narakaxur (contemporary to Rama and Sita) established the first Aryan-Axur kingdom in Pragjyotishpur.  (Otherwise historically it cannot get into Assamese later). If you read Kaliram Medhi, Dimbeswar Neog and others, you will find that Assamese language has still retained, besides the XO sound many characterisc of old Indo-European language like Persian etc which were lost in Sanskrit and others. With all these data, one can in fact make a convincing argument that Assamese is older than Sanskrit, a point made by Medhi and Neog. Assamese still has many pre Vedic words which were lost in Sanskrit.

(When you read Banikanta Kakaoty, please read with caution. Being a student of Dr Suniti Kumar Chatterjee, he did not contradict anything of his master. Compared to him, I think Neog, Medhi and Bharali are much more original Assamese scholars.)

The bottom line is, even Bani Kanta Kanoty has never stated that Assamese originated from Sanskrit. If he did, read his wording again, because he cannot mean that. But if you find any reference, I would like to see, and would appreciate if you would forward these.

As you can see, in Assam there is hardly any scholars left today. Have you seen any leadership role being played by Oxom Xahityo Xobha?  The one genuine scholar left in Assam, Dr Golok Ch Goswami is probably so frustrated that he decided not to speak in such mundane latters. But what I am saying, he supports me specially regarding the X sound and the use of W for W-kar in Roman script.

Another point is that Assamese has only one O and one Ah. Hindi and Sanskrit have A=Horso Ah, then AA=Dirgho Ah.  So when they write A, the sound is always short Ah like U=Up. Assamese say Onil, in Hindi they say Anil with Ah.  All the Assamese names like Anjana, Ajanta, Archana, Anil etc, in Assamese we pronounce with O.  But the same words are pronounced with Ah by the mainland Indians in Hindi, Sanskrit.  That is why when we write Asom, an Assamese might pronounce Osom, but Hindi and Sanskrit will pronounce Usom. See the spelling of the word Dalda in Hindi. It is written as Dolda but pronounced as Dalda.

All these are happening because (litikai) Assamese are trying to follow the Hindi, Sanskrit group blindly without real that Assamese language is a much more simpler language like Pail, and that it has its separate originality and beauty.

We need to retain the lost originality of the Assamese language. We need to stand up and say, we no longer follow you mainland India blindly. We have our originality which we need to retain.

 Anyhow these are is my points.  I hope I am not confusing you.

Rajen Barua.