Title: Re: [Assam] Lekhiboloi vs. Likhiboloi
And that is why we have the dictionaries which specifys the correct way of spelling a word. It is like this English word (say) 'country' which has this spelling. Suddenly we cannot be smarter and try to write it as  'kantry' and say they will enrich the English language.  Like the traditional Assamese word spelling, we need to standardize the spellings of the Assamese words in Roman script. Yes there will be some flexibilitie but within certain accepted rules for spelling. For the Assamese X sound we need to assign a letter from the Roman script, be it X or Ch or whatever. We need to assign. We cannot say Hobo Diok. We cannot assign S or SH because those are taken by other sounds.
RB
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Assam] Lekhiboloi vs. Likhiboloi

>"that only makes the language richer and becomes inclusive. The option of writing a word >like Dex in other forms (des or desh) might indicate that the language is not just inclusive >but also has several "accepatble" ways of writing certain words. Isn't that more welcoming >to others. "

No way, Jose!

You are trying too hard. Dex is an oxomiya term.'Desh' is a Bongali and Desulai term  :-). And they are not the same.

At 8:42 AM -0600 3/13/06, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
>As you know, a language dies when strict rules start controlling it. Let the user decide >- Tekhetor lekhiboloi kiba asene, ne likhiboloihe kiba ase.
>Dilip Deka

Exactly. This is what I have been trying to convey but to no avail. In their exuberance, I think some have made the rules more important than the language and ease of use itself.
I am glad that there is at least one other person in JP Rajkhowa, who feels that same way
>I fully endorse your views on 'lekhiboloi' as synonym of 'likhiboloi' and similarly >'lekhak' or 'likhak'.

And this is what I wrote a few days ago - which apparently didn't sit well with the literary leaders of Assmnet and ruffled their feathers.

"that only makes the language richer and becomes inclusive. The option of writing a word like Dex in other forms (des or desh) might indicate that the language is not just inclusive but also has several "accepatble" ways of writing certain words. Isn't that more welcoming to others. "

--Ram