>The question for Hindus is, do we have to become
>"non-believers" for our religion to conform to modern
>times? Shouldn't it be easier for us to change our
>interpretations (or reject them entirely) because we
>are not followers of THE book?

My two cents of above:
In fact that is what is being done in Hinduism in every age. Hinduism is one religion which had been interpreted and reinterpreted any which way you like so to say   That is what the reformers did during the middle ages in India.   Shankarchaya came and interpreted the Gita, the Vedanta Brahma Slwko and the  Vedas in such way that Hinduism became strict monism almost like Buddhism and  there was not room left for a personal God for Bhaktivad So Ramanujam and others had to reinterpret later and prove Shankarachaya wrong and create new rooms for Bhaktivad. In modern days, Ram Mohan Roy, Vivekananda, Gandhi, Tegore, Radhakrishnan and others have been redefining Hinduism their way. Hinduism has one advantage for re-interpretation because there are so many different scriptures and so very little were actually written in the original texts and in such symbolic language. If one does like one scripture, one can always pull things from other scriptures.  If one does like the Vedas, one can cite one of the Upanishads. In other religions, there are not much scope for fresh interpretations, because they have THE BOOKS, and one cannot do much reinterpretation of the same BOOK. In Hinduism, today one may say, 'We don't believe the Manusmriti' and I think no damage would be done. Does one have to believe the Vedas to remain a Hindu?  What about the Gita? What about 'reincurnation' or the theory of 'karma'?  If one does not believe in any of these, is the guy still a Hindu?  The Xongkor Xongho do not believe the Vedas.  In fact Vivekananda had a hard time trying to come with a proper definition of a Hindu as to what minimum things he would have to believe and still claim that he was a Hindu. The greatest re interpretation of the Gita was by Gandhi, because fracnkly speaking he could not reconcile the fact that Lord Krishna was actually advising Arjun to fight and kill his own relatives in the Kurukshetra war. Ultimately he came up with the vision that Krishna was actually telling not of the real war but a war in the minds against evil.  So in Hinduism, first set your belief system as to what you like, and then find the specific scriptures which will support your view, and ignore the rest. You will remain a good Hindu without any conflict.  That is why I say, more than any other religion, Hinduism is more a 'political religion' . You are a Hindu because your father was a Hindu.
RB