Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 1:39 AM
Subject: [Assam] Assam Institute of Management

Another year has passed and we shall have our 11th Convocation on 21st April. Shri PP Srivastava, Member, NEC, would be the Chief Guest. 39 students from the regular full time two year PGDM batch and ten from the three year part time batch would get their diplomas. Incidentally, due to lack of demqand, we have stopped enrollment in the part time course and this would be the last batch to gradaute.

We are happy that of the thrity nine graduating, 29 have already been placed through campus placement this time. Six of tyhem have already joined and would miss the Convocation. This has been very satisfactory as far as we are concerned since while in the past we always managed nearly 100% placement, not so many were placed even before the final exams or the Convocation. Also, in the past, a large number got placement by going outside the NE, but this time, all 29 were placed through campus placement. Our Placement co-ordinator, Prof. Nripendra Narayan Sharma has done a very good job.,

We may also mention that the Govt of Assam has declared that it would elevate the Assam Institute of Management to a national level institute. Yesterday, we had our Governing Body meeting and it was felt that we should try to generate as much resources from outside as possible. The state Government has earmarked a substantial sum for our infrastructure this year, but that may not be adequate. Also to tax the government further may not be desirable.

I may also mention that the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), which is a staturoy body to regulate technical education in India has given us a grant of Rs. 7 lakhs to set up a Industry Institute partnership cell (IIPC) and we are amongst very few institutes in the East like IIT Kh, Jadavpur etc. who have got it. The objective is to transfer our expertise to local industry. Proif. Mukulesh Baruah of AIM would coordinate. This is indeed a prestigious assignment.

The outgoing students were required to also organise seminars on contemporary issues and also undertake a socially relevant activity. They were divided into small groups of 4/5. Some of the seminar topics were:
1. Ecological rejuvenation of Assam through afforestation
2. Social impact of the Assam Movement
3. Say No to Bandhs
4. Developing sports potential of Asam
5. Impact of pressure groups in the development of Assam.
6. Reengineering the education system for Assam's development
7. Role of private sector in employment generation
8. Development of rural emtrepreurship
9. AIDS: Stigma and discrimination
10. Juvemnile delinquency problems in Assam.
Many senior government officials, eminent personalities like HN Das, Prof. Nirmal Choudhury, Dr. SN Goswamy, Ms. Jahnabi Goswami, Dr. NC Borah, AASU leaders, Nagen Saikia, JP Rajkhowa etc took part in the seminars.
Some of the social activities were:
Developing health and social awareness amongst girl students in rural areas by conducting half day programmes at villages like Kaliabari village in Marigaon, Oulaguri village in Nalbari, at Sonapur, Bonda etc.
One group did a campaign about wearing of helmets amongst college students while another did a awareness campaign about the illeffects of tobacco amongst school children.
Three group organised daylong activties for disadavtaged children of Ashadeep, Sahayika, Snehalaya.
The orphans of  the Sishu Mangal Kendra were taken by a group to ACCOLAND, an amusement park that has come up at Rani in Guwahati. They spent a day there and took part in a drawing competitioon too.
Shantikam Hazarika
Assam Institute of Management