Good response, Ram!
Thanks
RB
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Assam] From ToI/ SC the New Desi DIKTATOR ?

If I am not mistaken, this article 47 came directly from the British Constitution. In fact, similar articles exist in most constitutions (regarding public health). Remember, this was 1951 or when this was done.

Now, if the legislators don't like the article, they can pass an amendment.

>This is irreligious Law

What has religion got to do with it?

>Why the 'desi's will have to think conservative?
>Why we make Laws knowing fully well that we cannot adopt it?

Why point only to Desis? Was the US conservative in 1919 - a prohibition amendment which lasted for nearly 15 years?
When they repealed it, can we ask the question as to why they made laws which they cannot adopt? (they found that out only after 15 years)

IMHO:  There are many laws that are NOT good (in all constitutions). Before the Mitakshara law, property could only be inherited by sons and not daughters.
The point I am making is that laws are usually made taking into consideration of the times and customs at the time they were enacted. Only the test of time reverses these things.

A good example is the famous case of a gay couple from Texas who broke Texas' sodomy laws. The US Supreme Court last month struck it down and declared that the Texas law was unconstitutional (as piercing the veil of privacy - not sodomy). That Texas law (stupid as it was) existed as a Texas law ever since Texas was a state.
So, unjust and stupid laws change as times change - when people see them as not relevant any more or just plain unjust.

--Ram