>The argument of following the law would have been good IF and ONLY if had the India also agree to such a law. Did they?

In fact yes, India agreed to the Law established by the British. You must realize that at that time, there was not one India, but there were 50 Indias.  And the British made treaties as and when they liked with these states in full agreement with the states often time to protect one state from another. They never invaded any state unless the state broke the Law or defaulted on its agreement.  If they attacked a state, they did in 'self defense' like USA did with Iraq. Whatever they did they did apparently with the support of the people.
The rest is history as we all know.  All the time the British wanted to do business. It actually as a side affect, more or less, that they became the rulers of India.
It will be a good exercise in history to see  what differently things could be played if we are to repeat the history of British colonialism.
RB