Dear BK:

I am sure your late father had influenced the beekeeping surge in our area in
the early sities. I won't be surprised if our father had lessons from yours.

Bees in Europe and North America have been devastated in recent years by the
Varroa Mite. It is a tiny critter, a 'sikora' in Assamese, the size of a
pinhead.
They latch on to bee larvae and emerged adults, sucking their blood out.
Although they don't kill the bee, they get deformed and unable to fly and
forage. When the infestation becomes
widespread, the whole colony collapses. Fortunately there are plant based
chemicals available today, to treat bees against the Varroa mites, in addition
to what is called IPM ( Integrated Pest Management) strategies. In fact I am
treating my hives  with Apiguard, a chemical manufactured in Britain, right
now. This can be done only after the honey extraction season is over and no
honey
would be collected for human use during treatment.

In addition to mites the other major bee maladies are European Foul Brood,
American Foul Brood and Nosema spore infestations, all of which require
antibiotic treatment.

I too noticed the lost enthusiasm for beekeeping in our village and the
surrounding areas. I suspect, it is a combination of the effort that goes into
it, lack of adequate knowledge, resultant low yields
and perhaps even low price fetched by the harvests. I understand a litre of
honey in Assam these days cost around Rs. 200. That is fairly good for the
villagers, but the buying power of Rs. 200  these days of essential goods not
locally produced, is virtually negligible. Thus the incentive is not there.

Incidentally, India is the largest exporter of honey to the USA. There is huge
discontent among US beekeepers raging these days, because of Indian merchants
laundering banned Chinese honey
( due to excessive use of prohibited antibiotics) and dumping in US markets at
low prices, thereby driving down price of American beekeepers' produce.