Dear Ankur Da,

Thank you for writing the article about Gonit Sora and me. I would like to
copy my email to you about Pankaj Da here so that others can also read:

Pankaj Da started his early education in Majuli, where due to frequent
floods at that time the schools remained closed for long periods of time.
It was not very conducive environment for school goers then. His family
shifted to Lakhimpur district after flood raked havoc in their lives.
Pankaj Da started his Middle Primary education in Dholpur and then studied
there till his HSLC. He did his HS from Madhab Dev College in Narayanpur
and then went to North Lakhimpur College to do his BSc.

At North Lakhimpur he used to frequent Ratan Stores, a shop which still
exists. There he used to browse through latest editions of international
magazines and periodicals, including Time, etc. This did a lot of benefit
for his intellectual growth and gave him new ideas for discussion. He
observed various things about the young generation of his age group and
used to discuss certain things with his peers. They were not very
interested in social and cultural developmental ideas that he had and he
was laughed at many a times.

After his BSc, he started his MSc in Mathematics at Gauhati University. But
he did not like the academic environment at the university and gradually
became disillusioned with everything. He left his course in between and
started doing other things with his life, but he still had those ideas and
used to share them with his friends. Pankaj Da started to notice that his
friends thought him to be inferior because he did not complete his MSc.
After a few years he decided to try again and got admission at Tezpur
University, where we met during his first semester. I was then an
undergraduate student there. At Tezpur we wanted to bring out a magazine on
mathematics, but we could not get much support for this and with whatever
little money we could get, we started the website and opened it on 21st
April, 2011.

He completed his MSc from Tezpur and then went back to Gauhati Univ to
start his PhD work in algebraic graph theory. He wants to do good research
work in the future, as well as do something for the education and cultural
sector in the state. He is a regular writer in various Assamese dailies and
magazines. He also writes short stories in Assamese from time to time.

What we could not get access to in our childhood, we are trying to provide
to the new generation through Gonit Sora.

With kind regards,
Manjil