I would agree that a CIO shouldn't have to know the mechanics of how
spam works - being that I would like to think that I do my job well
enough so that my management does not need to know such things.  This is
one of numerous things that I would stipulate that users should never
really need to understand.  I do my job, so they can do their job.  I
would go so far as to equate it to being a type of mechanic.  The user
is just a driver, while I make sure the vehicle is operating properly.

But in terms of your original question, this is the one thing that if
management DID understand, it would make everything else all that much
more easy to accomplish.  People expect email to just work, and equally
expect me to just be able to stop spam.  But its just not that easy
because of how the underlying technology works. Email (SMTP) was not
conceptually designed to handle what we do with it today.  There is a
serious lack of control and accounting.

I believe a geeky CIO is a very good thing.  Granted, the ability to
make appropriate technology decisions is paramount - but to have an
understanding of the underlying nature of that technology is bar-none
the biggest asset in terms of properly leveraging that technology.

For me, "If the CIO was going to change one thing about the way the
company deals with spam," it would be to educate and manage through
company policy the way users are allowed to use email. In my years as a
network and e-mail administrator, my biggest concerns is what the users
expose the company to: by what they download as well as what they use
their email address for.