Matthew Jordan wrote:

<snip>

        How so? The current design calls for a public function that
        accepts a
        const char *key and a const char *value. The key and value are
        always
        going to be presented to the core as text (inbound SDP), and
        typically
        will be generated as text (outgoing SDP). Yes, sometimes we may
        need to
        interpret the values as integers, or floats, or something - but that
        will typically be the domain of the resource modules. I'm not sure
        storing them as heterogeneous types is all that advantageous.

    Two words: Format comparison. The more complex codecs aren't just a
    string comparison to know if they are equal, they get turned into a
    different type and then a comparison done on that. The amount of
    times a format comparison is done throughout the lifetime will also
    be greater than that of just interpreting/generating, I wager. The
    question is... which one do we want to be fast?

True. OTOH, there is at least one place in the code (and maybe it should
go away? I don't know) outside of the format core that does check to see
if an attribute is set. We will have to 'deal with that', in some form
or fashion.

Yeah, a lot of stuff like that existed in the core because it had codec specific knowledge. All of that has been moved out so the areas where it occurs should be minimal. We should have as little codec knowledge in the core as possible.

--
Joshua Colp