On Sun, Jan 28, 2018, at 5:00 AM, Alexander Traud wrote:
> In Jira, when I create a new issue, the fields Summary and Description
> are marked with a red asterisk. I guess, that indicates a required
> field. However, for an external contributor like me, the fields
> Component, Affects Version, Severity, and Issue Guidelines are required
> as well. This is inconsistent usage of this red asterisk and therefore
> confusing.
>
> What about
> A) asterisk the remaining required fields as well or
> B) if there are several user groups with different required fields, what
> about removing the existing two asterisks?

The red asterisk is from JIRA itself and indicates it is a required field for
it to work. There's no way that I found to mark the other fields as required to
make them appear like the JIRA ones. Instead they use a validator in JIRA which
runs before the issue is created to verify they exist. I can't add my own
non-red asterisk either because Components is a JIRA field, not a custom field
that can be edited.

They either have to be as they are now, or they aren't required. So far I
haven't seen any complaints across the various places about it and the quality
of issue reports has actually gone up as a result (generally the only back and
forth now seems to be to get backtraces, config information, or environment
information).

--
Joshua Colp