On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 1:52 PM <aster...@phreaknet.org> wrote:

> It's at the very bottom of the README:
> > If you're always going to build just 1 branch's dynamic documentation,
> > you can skip the Makefile..inc file and just place everything in the
> > main Makefile.inc:
>
> The first Makefile..inc has an extra period.... world's least important
> typo.

Ahha!   It's 'Makefile.<branch>.inc' in the source README.md but the
'<branch>' is getting stripped. :)

> Circling back to one other thing now that this seems good to go, what
> exactly did you change for reducing the file sizes / is that included in
> the current iteration, without mike?

The addition of "navigation.prune" under features in mkdocs.yml did most of
it, and yes, it's currently included.

> I'm still seeing a lot of
> extraneous whitespace in the pages. 244 KB per page isn't huge, but just
> at a cursory glance,

Can you give me an example of an html page that's that big?  Most I see are
in the 80-100k range

> I think we could probably cut the size 10-20% just
> by getting rid of the whitespace. In some places, there are just
> hundreds of newlines in a row for no reason.

Give me an example page.

> If this is just what the
> tool generates, I understand that, we don't have any control over that,
> just wanted to know. We could remove it all pretty easily with sed
> probably, and think could be a final "post processing" step in the
> Makefile, run recursively on all files. What do you think?

I tried to do exactly that but it didn't result in much savings and I got
nervous about accidentally deleting multiple "blank" lines without knowing
whether you might be in a "<pre>" block or not.   I was going to
try html-minifier but just haven't got to it yet.