Craig Guy wrote:

it wouldn't make business sense for Digium to have code in the free distribution that can't be in their commercial distribution.

Yes, I do suspect that Digium sees things this way.

Maybe I'm too much of a free-thinker - too believing in the open-source philosophy, but I would like to think that this is not neccesarily true. I would like to think that they could host and support a non-disclaimed GPL Asterisk - having features that ABE does not - and they would profit from that. Still, they could ask for disclaimers, and undoubtedly many, many people here love Digium enough to do that even if they aren't required to do so in order to see their contribution integrated upstream. In the cases where a contributor will not disclaim the contribution to Digium then Digium could make some attempt to obtain a license for ABE from the contributor (and I expect that this case would be extremely rare - but perhaps appropriate for cases like spandsp/rxfax/txfax), Digium could write their own rendition of the contribution, or ABE could just do without it.

The way I see it, if Asterisk improves or gets some new feature or increases its exposure then Digium (and every other business commercially involved with Asterisk) will benefit more from that than if the improvement had not taken place.

Certainly I think that it's fair to say that some contributions will not be disclaimed in the scenario I outlined that would have been disclaimed in the present scenario. I think that depends on how well Digium does on keeping the Asterisk users loyal and willing to repay them in kind. However, in the end, even if they don't do a good job at that, I think that a better Asterisk means a happier Digium... even if that means that there is some differences between ABE and Asterisk GPL.

Lee.