Awww... This is when I feel stupid, and for the sake of others... I will expose my shame:

Be sure you run `autoconf` after applying the patch (and making the required changes to configure.ac) Since it's altering "configure.ac" afterall, and not "configure"; then of course run configure and etc. I did so and now it works... except I now have the disappointment of realizing that ulaw over SIP isn't really all that well suited to fax.
(hey... 1/3 of a page is better than nothing... r-right?)

Anthony Kepler wrote:
Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm in the same boat with 1.4.0-beta3 and SpanDSP

   - Anthony Kepler

Matt Gibson wrote:
Okay, So,

More updates after testing some more

1. with the "free" line commented out of app_rxfax.c, and recompiled,
asterisk seems to work on non-fax incoming calls to my fax extension.
Doesn't send a file obviously, but does seem to actually reach the
right place and do what it's supposed to do.