Erick Perez wrote:

I have found a site that list the following (no date in the post, so
it may be old):
"since all transcoding and calls still go through one core in asterisk,
it doesn't make sense to buy a multi-core or hyperthreaded system that
will only slow you down"

Does that still applies in asterisk 1.2.14/1.4.x ?
Or do we have to tweak source code to balance loads (transcoding,etc)
between cores?

I can tell you that statement is bogus. We run a number of dual cpu and single cpu systems on our network. The dual ones (Xeon 3.6Ghz) can easily handle 90 G729 calls at 50% CPU Usage. The single ones will be at 50% with only 40 calls.

Andres