At work, I have 4 branch offices at which I've deployed asterisk.
Call termination/origination at each branch office is handled either
through a frac PRI or 3rd party SIP provider.  Soon, I'll be replacing
the legacy PBX at our HQ with asterisk.

Each branch office has between 3 and 20 employees, each with their own
extension and DID, and at headquarters, we have about 70 people, again
each with their own extensions and DID.

Handling local and LD calls from all the offices isn't a big deal -
just normal call routing for that.  My main question is what to do
with calls between the offices.  Each branch is connected back to HQ
with a persistant VPN tunnel - I've tested IAX2 traffic over these
tunnels before, and things work great.  Since this works fairly well,
I envision using IAX trunks for all intra-office calls.  So - in this
situation, would it be easier to just manage the office dialplan(s)
and call routing manually, or would it be worth it to set up dundi for
extension discovery?

Erik,

What you have to ask yourself; is this environment dynamic, frequent
changes, adding, deleting DID, extensions, then DUNDi will do better
than static dialplans.  If the setup will be pretty much the same
day-in and day-out, not much change or activity, then static dialplans
may be better.  I like to think of what would be easiest to
troubleshoot and repair when a problem occurs.  Static would also be
pretty easy if you can route summarize, i.e. office 1 had all 3XXX
office 2 has all 4XXX, office 3 has all 5XXX, and DID are prefixed
with different NPA/NXX.

DUNDi adds a layer of complexity but can give you great flexibility
for growth and scalability, once it's up and running it just works.  I
would not use it because it's the techie thing to do, I would use it
because I have an ever changing environment and truly need dynamic
extension & DID routing between remote locations/servers.

Hope this helps.  Sorry if it's clear as mud.

Good Luck

JR

--
JR Richardson