I think HANGUPCAUSE is channel agnostic.

See: core show function HANGUPCAUSE

Some thing like this IIRC:
    Set(my_cause=${HANGUPCAUSE(${CHANNEL(name)},tech)})

Remember the incoming leg of the call and the outgoing leg of the call are different channels. Make sure you are giving HANGUPCAUSE the correct channel.