Maybe my point was missed.
Hardware wise - a VIA MII EDEN based board will greatly outperform a Soekris system, which is why my embedded platform is based on the VIA hardware instead of the Soekris, because I AND my customers did want an all-in-one system, and small offices tend to want an all-in-one piece of equipment.

Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

Dustin Wildes wrote:

Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:

I thought I saw a Soekris embedded in the Digium booth photos, can you run Asterisk on one of these? How? I'd be interested in it for a back pbx, given
the reliability. In fact, might want to move my home pbx to this also.

Chris Mason

If I'm not mistaken, the Soekris hardware does fine for a few voice channels - but not a very high performance piece of hardware. For example, if you wanted a full solution as a VPN, Asterisk server, media streaming via ICEs, web server, email server, etc... it will start to lack in performace when compared to a VIA EDEN system which can use DDR memory and such.

Of course it would start to lack in performance! You'd have to be CRAZY to run all of that on a fanless $220 SBC!

Like anything else, the Soekris is not an end-all, be-all solution. It does however, work surprisingly well in a lot of different applications and I am routinely impressed when I hear what people are doing with them (and AstLinux). :)