To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <asterisk@uc.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: [on-asterisk] Scary Call from Bell Muscle Men...

Hello Philip and everyone,

This thread interests me, since, just over a month ago, I terminated my relationship with Bell when we relocated.

Question is: How secure is, or how can one make voip secure? i.e. Is Telephone Banking vulnerable over voip?

For our residential phone we are now using acanac and lesnet over aDSL with dry-loop, asterisk 1.4.11 on my linux box here at home with a couple of Aastra SIP phones and a Linksys 3102 to the analog phones in the house.

Cost is much lower than Bell's minimal service and we now have all the bells and whistles that Bell charges an arm and a leg for, at no extra.

I could go on about Bell's bumbling monopolistic methods, like repeated phone calls to try to convince me to come back to Bell Sympatico for adsl, billing me for a month after the service was terminated, when I call them to try to straighten it out I get someone in India who can hardly speak English who tells me that I have Bell Expressview on my account and that the account was never terminated/settled... I tell them there is no Expressview on the account and the account was terminated when I left that address... 20 minutes of elevator music later I get dead air... (Boy am I glad I no longer have any affiliation with Bell!!!)

Sorry about that rant...

Question, if you've read this far, is related to the comments below about security on a voip call:

Philip Mullis wrote:
Anyone with enough skills can listen to your calls on the rogers
network, but that would imply they also have access to the switching
fabric in which your calls go through., also if you want to be super
secure, get a voip provider that does ipsec connections from you to them
,this will ensure very high security.

Not using Rogers, how secure are calls using adsl/asterisk to a itsp like acanac or lesnet? Everytime I think I'm getting a handle on networking/routing/dns/traffic-shaping/etc something new turns up. Like ipsec. How do I determine if, or if not, ipsec is being used? Can I set it up on my end unilaterally? or must it be a provision from the itsp?

Bell copper... mmmmm what can i say here... anyone with a 3$ phone from
wallmart, plyers and aligator clips can listen in on your call :/

True, but he'd have to be outside  my house or on a pole somewhere, right?

With IP isn't it possible for anyone on the internet, savvy enough to do it, to intercept packets and monitor calls/data transmissions from the comfort of his living room? Unless we are using some kind of security or tunneling protocol, or maybe IPSEC?

What would be the equivalent of an "ssh" data connection in the voip world? What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to ensure security?

--terry

--

Name: Terry D. Cudney
Phone: (705) 812-3744 (lesnet DID)

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like...
having a peeing sectionin a swimming pool.

Tired of technology? Check this out: http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm