Comments inline below
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Van Meggelen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <asterisk@uc.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2008 11:50 AM
Subject: [on-asterisk] Hoping for some discussion on Local Number
Portability (and toll free too, for that matter)

Folks,

I'd be grateful if we could have a discussion about number portability.

I can probably answer most any question about LNP.  We are part of the CLNPC
(Canadian Local Number Portability Consortium)

I have a couple of specific things I'd like to know, but I'd also like to
have an idea of what knowledge we have in our group, and get it into a
discussion so that it will be in the list archives.

My questions are:

1) If I have an 800 number, do I own that? If so, can I simply move it to
another carrier? Currently my 800 number comes in on my analog circuits,
and
Bell is quite happy to gouge me for things like CallerID (and a recently
added $8/mo charge that does not seem to relate to anything). I'd much
prefer to assign it to a VoIP service. No idea what my rights are with
respect to this, nor what I might expect to pay. I don't want to find out
one day that because I moved my number to wherever, I no longer have any
rights to it (assuming I have any rights to it now).

You do have rights to it.  You can move it to any toll free carrier you wish
by simply filling out a form called a RESPORG.  The new TF Carrier should be
able to provide you with one.

As far as the pricing goes, its pretty common knowledge that Bell charges $8
per month just for the privilege of having a TF number and then charge you
for every incoming call.  Some TF carriers don't charge a monthly fee at all
and just charge for the minutes (like us for example....shamless
plug..sorry)

2) I have a customer who has locations all over the 905 area code North of
Toronto. They would like to have all their numbers come in on their PRI in
Aurora, and then distrubute to each site via VoIP. I believe that local
numbers cannot move out of whatever exchange they are assigned to, but I
have seen some pretty creative things done, and there is such a thing as a
foreign exchange circuit, so I am curious what is actually possible.

Creativity is the key.  Lots can be done.  They can ask for a wide area PRI.
The trick is going to be finding a provider that has LNP coverage in all of
the areas that they have local numbers on.  Most providers can only provide
LNP in the main area (like Newmarket for example) but can't provide LNP for
the outlying areas.  The following URL will give you a list of the rate
centres in which we can do LNP either now or in the very near future (June
1)

http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_prefix.php?npa=&nxx=&x=&ocn=190e&region=&lata=&switch=&pastdays=0&nextdays=0

There are a few that we can do that aren't on this list as well.  We will be
putting a more complete list on our website soon.

Any other comments regarding number portability in Canada (whether related
to my questions or not) or valuable resources would be most welcome.

Jim

--
Jim Van Meggelen
Core Telecom Innovations