From: Jim Van Meggelen [mailto:j...@vanmeggelen.ca]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 4:17 PM
To: Simon P. Ditner
Cc: asterisk@uc.org
Subject: Re: [on-asterisk] Conference bridge

You know what? That's a fantastic idea!

We should set up a basic idea of what we want to test (keep it simple),
and the get together and have a 'mix-off' between YATE, FS and Asterisk
and see which one can handle the most channels before it starts having
issues.

We probably wouldn't be able to be too formal in our methodology, so
some purists might scoff, but if we did the same sort of test on the
same sort of system, it'd at the least give some sort of benchmark as to
where the performance differences lie.

I would love to test this on the following:
- Atom (I have a lab box for that)
- Core 2 Duo
- Core 2 Quad
- Xeon
- Dual Xeon

Sorting out performance differences between the various projects would
be interesting enough, but what would also be neat to discover is
whether, say a core2 quad is that much better than a core2 duo, and
whether a xeon is far better, or only a little better.

I have an intel Atom box that I can bring to the party. Can't currently
help with the others, though.

Jim

Simon P. Ditner wrote:
> Would anyone like to get scientific about it?
>
> I'm now really curious to know how many G.711 channels a quad core
> Xeon could mix using Asterisk, FreeSWITCH, and YATE respectively. Does
> anyone have a spare available that we might run some automated testing
> against?
>
> And if we're feeling really sick, we could also do some MOS tests
> (Mean Opinion Score); the test is outlined in ITU P.800:
> http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-P.800-199608-I/en
>
> Cheers,
> spd
>
> --
> | It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what
> | you know for sure that just ain't so.   -- Mark Twain
> |
> | Network: http://www.linkedin.com/in/spditner
> |          http://facebook.com/people/Simon-P-Ditner/776370031
> |          http://twitter.com/spditner
>
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Rachel Quin wrote:
>
>> No, that flexibility is exactly what I'm looking for, but you simply
>> can't
>> mix that many G.711 channels in Xeon cores.
>>
>> My question is, does anyone know of any open source software that will
>> utilize DSP cards for the actual voice stream crunching of G.711
>> channels?
>> All of the signalling and management function would be in the software
>> running on the host hardware.  Every Telco grade media mixer does this,
>> every edge T3 or OC gateway.
>>
>> Can FreeSwitch or Asterisk do all the conferencing work, using DSP
>> hardware
>> offloading?
>>
>> Rachel

Jim Van Meggelen
j...@vanmeggelen.ca
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2177

"A child is the ultimate startup, and I have three.
This makes me rich."
                    Guy Kawasaki