HI Matt,

That sounds very cool.  Will certainly give it a try.

Bill
-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Gamble [mailto:mgam...@mgamble.ca]
Sent: November 23, 2012 5:30 PM
To: asterisk Mailing
Subject: [on-asterisk] Introducing iaxproxy - a simple IAX2->SIP Proxy

All,

I'm very happy to be able to share with you a project I've been working on in
my spare time - iaxproxy.org.  While not directly related to Asterisk per se, I
believe the project will be of interest to members of the Asterisk community.

IAXProxy is an open source IAX2 to SIP Back-to-back Protocol Adapter
(B2BPA) based originally off Asterisk.  The goal of IAXProxy is to allow anyone
the freedom to integrate IAX2 based end-points seamlessly into a SIP
environment.  Previously interconnecting IAX based devices to a SIP based
network was challenging at best, requiring the network operator to run
dedicated Asterisk PBX's to connect these devices.  The result was that
IAX2 based users were always "second class citizens" in a SIP environment - the
SIP "core" was not aware of the device state of an IAX2 endpoint
(registered/unregistered), etc.  IAXProxy changes that by providing "surrogate
registration" type functionality for IAX2 devices.  When an IAX2 end point
connects to IAXProxy the endpoint information is looked up in an internal
in-memory database and assuming the IAX2 device passes authentication then a
SIP Peer and SIP Registrar are created on the users behalf.  When the IAX2
endpoint becomes unreachable the SIP Peer & Registrar are deleted.  This allows
the SIP network to be fully aware of the state of IAX2 devices and features
such as Call Forwarding Unreachable to be provisioned at the SIP Server level.

The software is currently very "alpha" but it does work and allows you to make
and receive calls using IAX2 devices to a SIP network.  I'm currently looking
for anyone interested in assisting with this project - I need help with
testing, documentation, etc so if you are interested please let me know.

You can download the initial release from http://www.iaxproxy.org or directly
from GitHub (https://github.com/primuslabs/iaxproxy)

I'm very excited about this initial release and look forward to the community
feedback.

Thanks!

Matthew M. Gamble