HI everyone,

Thanks to Darrick, Gary, Lonnie and Tim for offering valuable
suggestions on the ebox-3850ps.
For those of you who have forgotten, here's the link to the hardware:
http://www.wdlsystems.com/ebox/ebox.shtml

Gary - your idea of automatic provisioning is a good one, but it's
probably overkill for an undergraduate-level course project. But, I will
keep that idea in mind for a graduate-level project.
Lonnie - m0n0wall support is secondary, at this time ..so we decided to
go ahead with the ebox evaluations, and not worry about m0n0wall support
on the ebox.
Tim - your warning about Via systems not being able to boot from non-ide
devices was taken into consideration. So, we verified their ability to
boot off USB drives, but we are still running into roadblocks. Read on...
Carlos- not sure if the ebox works with TDM400P or TE110P in the pci-x
slot. I don't have the device with me and don't remember if it has the
slot or not, but the box is *really small* ...just slightly larger than
an internal  3.5" harddrive box. If it indeed has a PCI slot, the card
will have to be really small to fit.

We did indeed obtain an evaluation kit this week. First impressions:
Overall, the build quality is really solid.
The box is very compact, and the case has aluminium at the top and
bottom, which acts as a heat sink. The processor has a (passive) heat
sink and the CPU heat sink is in contact with the aluminium from the
computer case by means of a large thermal pad.
The case gets very warm ...almost hot to the touch ...certainly more
than the net4801.
There is room inside for a 2.5" drive, but we installed a 1 GB "Embed
disk" ....it's a CF card, with an IDE interface, all on one board -- it
fits neatly inside the box.

I hooked it up to an LCD monitor, connected the kbd and LAN, and tried
booting off a USB CDROM drive. I used the AstLinux ISO (ver 0.4.4).
And here's where the problems began.
It starts to boot just fine, then right after "Freeing Unused Kernel
memory", I get this message:
"Unable to identify CD-ROM format
CD-ROM not found

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
<etc, etc and CD-ROM info is shown here>"

Then it drops me down to the busybox shell.
I have no clue how to proceed. After commencing to boot off the CDROM
drive, why can't it read it any more?

So, I tried booting off a USB key ... tried both the via as well as the
i586 images (ver 0.4.4).
Well, it gets stuck at grub. I mean, it just displays "GRUB" and but menu.
And that's where it sits.

I have no idea as to where to even start looking for debugging clues.
Note that, as a test, I booted a DELL laptop using the same CD as well
as well as the USB flash disk.
The laptop booted up fine.

Are there any known issues in booting off a USB key/CDROm drive?
Anyway, to summarize, I haven't been able to install AstLinux on the
internal IDE-CFcard. In fact, how the heck do I even boot up this system
and install AstLinux (without resorting to PXE boot)?

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to start looking?

Thanks,
-- Sarvesh