>On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Clem Taylor <clem.taylor at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the proper way to change the MAC address on an ath9k based device?
>>
>> When I do this:
>>    ip link set dev wlan0 down
>>    ip link set addr "$newmac" dev wlan0
>>    ip link set dev wlan0 up
>>
>> ifconfig shows the new MAC address, but I stop being able to
>> authenticate with WEP or WPA2 (via wpa_supplicant). The authentication
>> fails with:
>>    wlan0: direct probe to AP <AP-MAC> timed out
>>
>> If I use the default MAC address, the authentication works just fine.
>>
>> With madwifi I would:
>>    wlanconfig ath0 destroy
>>    ip link set dev wifi0 down
>>    ip link set addr "$newmac" dev wifi0
>>    ip link set dev wifi0 up
>>    wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
>
>--------------
>
>Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
>Tue Oct 14 01:23:18 CEST 2008
>
>We'll need to test and confirm and fix this, thanks for letting us know.
>
>  Luis

Any news on this? The Atheros chipset in the EeePC 1000HE (at least in
mine) only works with the ath9k driver, and it is impossible to
connect to any network with a MAC address different than the default.
Same issue as above (no matter what command is used to change the MAC
address).

wlan0: direct probe to AP <AP's MAC Address> timed out

Hristo