Hi all,

I've been thinking about rate control a bit lately. I've written up
some of my thoughts in a blog post
(http://www.openias.org/bayesian-wifi-rate-control), but very briefly
put I'd like to build a rate control algorithm based on Bayesian
statistical inference, possibly by modeling the rate control problem
as a "multi-armed bandit" problem and/or using Thompson sampling.

A couple of questions for the list:

1. Is there anybody else out there thinking along similar lines?

I'd very much like to find collaborators interested in working on
this. It could serve as a pretty nice masters thesis problem, for
example.

2. What would be the best hardware/software stack to base this work on?

I'm thinking the best driver for rate control experimentation would be
ath9k, right? If so then a TP-Link TL-WA901ND router (apparently based
on Qualcomm QCA956x SOC) with OpenWrt, and a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe
card (apparently based on Atheros AR9380 with PCI ID 168c:0030) for my
desktop sounds like a good combo, no? But would I have to run a custom
kernel on my desktop then (or can I somehow get by with an Ubuntu
standard kernel)?

Any other thoughts or pointers are also more than welcome.

Many thanks,

Björn Smedman