On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 06:41:30PM -0500, Mike Perry wrote:
> Thus spake Axel Thimm ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>
> > > I think the issue is probably that mpg123 is caching away the network
> > > outages. Is this wireless?
>
> Either wired or wireless. 802.11g or 100Mbit. Same LAN.
>
> > On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 03:44:34AM -0500, Mike Perry wrote:
> > > Of course, right after I sent the email I began to notice skipping
> > > with mpg123 (mpg321-0.2.10.3-0.lvn.1.4) and the error messages
> > > "ALSA: underrun, at least 0ms."
> > >
> > > Interestingly enough, increasing the ALSA buffer and the mp3 streaming
> > > buffer seem to make the problem worse for xmms and bmp. mpg123 seems
> > > to have no buffering options.
> >
> > Perhaps your network connection is really that bad, that even mp3
> > streams outperform its bandwidth?
>
> Doubtful. I get around 2MBytes/sec off of the samba share over wireless,
> and around 4 over wired..

4 already looks suspicious, you should get 10 or more. Try ttcp.

> I just tried NFS, and the problem took much longer to reproduce,
> but it did eventually crap out over both the wired and the wireless
> networks.
>
> Think I should also file the bugs with xmms and bmp upstream? Any
> other suggestions?

No, I don't think this is an application issue. Try cutting out the
apps from the diagnosis by reproducing the error by simple file
copying.

Try running gkrellm or a similar monitor on side to your apps and
watch the network traffic. You'll find that when the outages happen
the network traffic will break down. Or if not, it will be from a
different machine congesting your connection to your samba server. It
could be a simple as a dying hdd timing out your read request, so
check the logs on the server, too.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net