On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 03:31:29PM +0100, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> >On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 07:36:49PM +0100, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> >>Is there any easy way to get things like the win32codecs for
> >>mplayer and the flash plugin for firefox working when running a
> >>64bits system?
> >>
> >>The only thing I can currently think of is: download all necessary
> >>RPMs from the i386 folder in the repository, extract the files
> >>from them and instal all those manually.
> >
> >You can also simply install these rpms. No need to unpack and
> >install w/o package management.
> >
> Well, I tried that but then they start complaining about
> dependencies and then I get this chain of rpms to install which all
> complain about conflicts with the 64bit versions that are already
> installed.
>
> Does'n matter though, I gave up and reinstalled :-)
>
> Unless somebody in the future can tell me they have a working x86_64
> that includes a working firefox+flash+java, mplayer+win32codecs and
> cedega without too many upgrade hassles I'll stick with i386 for now
> :-)
>
> NB: Did you know that your instruction on the website for getting up
> and running with ATrpms don't work for x86_64? Again all kinds of
> file conflicts while trying to install apt-get (well in fact with
> the medley package that gets pulled in with it).

No, that's because apt does not work on multilibed systems, or placed
differently it cannot cope with packages for different architetcures
having the same name, like the two glibc packages for i386 and x86_64.

You are right, ATrpms' documentations sucks, and the install
instructions should make it clear that atrpms-kickstart is for i386
only (unless you drop HelixPlayer and openoffice).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net