What made the original Apple TV so enticing for Linux users is that it is
basically a standard computer (Intel 32-bit processor) in a miniature form
factor. The new Apple TV, with its A4 chip, is more similar in architecture
to an iPhone or iPad than a PC or Mac. The A4 chip is an ARM architecture
chip, and while there is some support for Ubuntu for ARM, there are a
fraction of the software packages available for that architecture in
comparison to x86 or x64.

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Bruce E <bhelm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the big issues that I see with hacking the new Apple TV is it's
> use of Apple's A4 chip. To my knowledge, no one has built a Linux
> kernel for it. It's a system on a chip, including the processor and
> graphics engine, etc. Given that it's proprietary, it may be a long
> time before that happens.
>
> I did hear that it's very similar in design to the iPad and has
> already been jail-broken. But that doesn't particularly excite me at
> this point.
>
> I was also surprised to hear that it is also crippled with only 256MB
> of memory just like the older Apple TVs, making it even less enticing.
> Unless you're interested in what it can do out of the box, I'd say
> stick with the previous generation.
>
> Bruce
>
> On Oct 2, 12:09 pm, Robert Baptista <rob...@rbcardiff.net> wrote:
> >   I don't believe the atv2 runs osx. I think Mythfrontend would have to
> > be ported to IOS.
> >
> > As far as price is, the original atv's can now be had for $80 on ebay
> > and craigslist. Just picked another one up myself last week.
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > On 10/2/2010 9:00 AM, radmofo wrote:
> >
> > > I did a few searches and it appears the new appletv is a little
> > > different than the original being that it has no hard drive but
> > > instead 8 gb of flash and it doesnt have a usb drive. The $99.00 cost
> > > of the unit even directly from apple is very enticing.
> >
> > > Has anyone successfully installed mythtv frontend on this thing yet?
> >

> --

Dylan Vassallo
Computer science student
University of California Los Angeles