DFishburn

It sounds like it's been a long time since you fiddled with it :)
Unless you're making your own custom mach_kernel images, you're
probably doing a dual boot w/kexec setup.  In this case, no matter
what the recovery image is booting briefly and then subsequently
launching your ubuntu install.  The new image helps this process with
newer distros in 2 ways (at least).

1. it's supports ext4 which is the default on most newer distros
2. it should automatically read the grub.cfg file to boot properly

I can't comment on the performance since I haven't compared any
distros at all really :(

There are various ways to perform the install, I won't go in-depth
here

http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/BootingLiveCD
http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/InstallingLinux

Those links should probably refresh your memory though.