If I invoke M-x ispell-buffer to spellcheck my TeX file, it reports, for
example, uvw and cx from $uvw + cx$. I guess the spell checker doesn't skip
math modes.

How can I make spell checker (ispell-buffer) skip math modes?

Workarounds:

1. When you  want to run spell checker thru a TeX file, turn on flyspell
mode, move to the beginning of the buffer, keep pressing C-right or M-right
until you spot red parts (indicating misspells), fix it and so on. For some
reason, M-9 M-9 M-9 C-right doesn't highlight typos.

2. Always write $ u v w  +  c x $ instead of $ uvw + cx $. But then
equations become less readable.