On Sun, 21 May 2023 at 14:34, Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.z...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I still cannot observe the desired behavior, as shown in the
> attached screenshot.

Are you sure that `$' is bound to `TeX-insert-dollar'?  In a LaTeX
buffer, what does `C-h k $' give you?  I get

$ runs the command TeX-insert-dollar (found in LaTeX-mode-map), which is an
interactive native-compiled Lisp function in ‘tex.el’.

It is bound to $.

(TeX-insert-dollar &optional ARG)

Insert dollar sign.

If current math mode was not entered with a dollar, refuse to
insert one when ‘TeX-refuse-unmatched-dollar’ is non-nil.

Show matching dollar sign if this dollar sign ends the TeX math
mode and ‘blink-matching-paren’ is non-nil.

When outside math mode, the behavior is controlled by the variable
‘TeX-electric-math’.

With raw C-u prefix, insert exactly one dollar sign.
With optional ARG, insert that many dollar signs.

Bye,
Mosè