System as tested:
Speakers: Hyperion 938 (http://www.hyperionsound.com/HPS-938.htm)
Classe: CAP-2100
(http://www.classeaudio.com/delta/detail-cap-2100.htm)
Source: SB3 (interconnect misc digital)
DAC: Cambridge DACMagic (interconnect Nordost Red dawn)

Review
I own three SB3s and a couple of SB2s on various systems as well as a
transporter which I sold last year. I have relied on the DACs in the
SB3 or in some on-board home cinema amps. As a baseline I have found
the SB3 DACs to be good but I have long looked for a cheap DAC which
sounds better than the inbuilt DAC. I am an audio skeptic and won’t
keep anything I am not convinced is value for money.
Cambridge Audio introduced the original DacMagic in 1994 with the
specific intention of upgrading CD players. Time has moved on, and
processing power is much much cheaper so refinement should finally be
possible at a reasonable price. The new DacMagic is totally new. The
2008 DacMagic has Adapted Time Filtering (ATF™) asynchronous upsampling
technology converts 16-24 bit audio (at any standard sampling frequency
between 32-96kHz) to 24 bit/192kHz. It relies on Twin Wolfson WM8740
high quality DACs (one per channel) with Incoming sampling rate
indicator 32 / 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96kHz. On the connection side there
are actually five inputs  (2xS/PDIF & 2x Toslink and 1x USB) but this
is highly deceptive as although ONLY one can be connected at one time
thus the unit will not act as a switching digital selector.....I have
an old audiolap DAC from 1990 that will do this!). The manual even says
don’t plug in multiple input cables at the same time...even if off! The
USB input connects direct to PC without drivers to act as a very high
quality sound card...I have not tested this (but a review is here
http://www.techradar.com/products/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/cambridge-audio-dacmagic-digital-to-analogue-converter-465736/review).
There are singled ended phono and remarkably XLR balanced audio
outputs.....which for me was useful as these connected straight to the
balanced amp inputs with the Nordost cable which I already had. It also
have digital outputs although these only “pass-through”....there is no
upsampling here. The upsampling only works for the analogue outputs.

So enough pre-amble. Does the DacMagic work with the SB3? Yes it does!
It certainly enhances the sound giving a cleaner more dynamic effect.
The sound to my ears is comparable with the transporter I owned (this
may not be quite fair because you need an A-B switch to compare such
small differences head-to-head). I would not discount the possibility
that the SB3+DacMagic is better than the transporter.....lets just say
to my ears I am happier with this combination. To give some kind of
yardstick....I would liken the improvement to going from a 128kbs MP3
to a 256kps per track. Its definitely a step up although not
revolutionary. For example, its not quite as good as going from 128 to
lossless FLAC/Apple for example  (its about 50% of that improvement).
To look at this another way, if this cost $1000 I would say I would
consider it, if it cost $2000 I would say too expensive but at $400
(£200) I say I’ll buy a few, one for each room.

The DacMagic's 32 bit DSP runs Cambridge Audio's own proprietary
digital filter algorithms with three different filter options
available: Linear Phase, Minimum Phase and Steep. Linear phase is the
same as used in the flagship Azur 840C upsampling CD player. There is a
very subtle difference between the filters, to my ears only “minimum”
sounded different....and then ever so slightly flat.

Some other advantages: its small...the form factor is not much bigger
that the SB3 (within 1-2cm in width) so you can probably sit them
together. It also seems happy to be left on, and has no start up
delay......so It could be tucked away out of sight. Its well built and
has its own (basic) external power supply...this could be upgraded at a
later date although the manufacturer doesn’t recommend it. Oh yes, there
is no remote...but I doubt one is needed. I have not yet tested it with
some of my other digital sources...CDplayer/SkyHD/PS3/PC via USB! but I
expect the same degree of improvement here too. Lets see.

So there you have it. A cost effective upgrade with few drawbacks (no
remote, no switching, no upsampling on digital out, effectively only 1x
digital input). Someone out there needs to compare this “bargain DAC”
with one of the higher end DACs and see how close Cambridge have come
to perfection.

Alex
Ps. I’ll post some pics later this week.

--
ajmitchell

Check out my other hobby http://ajmitchell.shutterpoint.com