Ben Hutchings:
> I think it doesn't matter when the last reference is from a running
> system call and not a vma.  There is no way that the process could use
> the aufs file structure at this point.

Basically you are right and I was wrong.
The unbalance of the ref-count between vm_file and vm_prfile will not be
a problem here, even there is a small window between releasing and
re-acquiring mmap_sem in msync and madvise. *IF* msync and madvise touch
vma or vm_prfile then it would be a problem.

I will merge your patch and release after completing my local tests.
Thank you.

J. R. Okajima